Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Noah’s Puff Quilt Part 1

I am so excited for my little nephew to arrive.  I have started working on this puff quilt for him.  I originally got the tutorial from http://www.honeybearlane.com/ but have made some changes to make it more functional for me :) 

First step: Buy The Supplies

I went for soft flannel fabrics since I thought it would be cozy for the little man.  I went with 8 different fabrics that were coordinating in patters that were white, blue, green, and brown.  She recommended finding 8 different fabrics but just four colors, so we will see how mine turns out.  I just picked ones that I thought were cute :)

I bought 1/2 yard of each fabric and have extra of each to do some coordinating other projects.

1 yard white muslin, however this was barely enough for the 64 squares, so I may need to go back for some more later

some fiberfill stuffing

I decided to get the rest of the materials once I needed them.

Second step:  Cut

materials

Cut the muslin into 64 squares that are 4 1/2 x 4 1/2

Cut the pretty fabric into squares that are 5x5

Using a rotary cutter, self healing mat, and one of those handy clear ruler things made this a quick task.

Third Step: Sew

squares

Lay the wrong sides together of the fabric, lining up one corner and pin

pin

Then continue to line up each corner with the other one and pin.  All corners should be lined up and it should have a little parachute thing going on.

To sew the sides, you will notice that the top fabric has some extra fabric.  Pinch the extra fabric in the middle of one side, then lay it flat so that the machine will go over it smoothly.  I am visual so just see the picture.

fold

sew three sides

Sew three of the sides using a zig zag stitch, stuff, then sew the last side closed.  I used a zig zag stitch so that I wouldn’t have to use pinking sheers or no fray on all the edges.  Make sure the stuffing is light and fluffy so the quilt ends up squishy for the little one :)

stuff

Once I got on a roll, they went fast. 

pillows

I am already almost half way through making all of my little pillows!  With any luck I may actually have this quilt done before he is born in February :)

No comments:

Post a Comment