Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kite bow holder

When I found out I was having a girl, my mom went a little crazy.  She loves everything fru fru.  Needless to say, Emmalynn has a LOT of bows. 

A while ago I saw this post on Ruffles and Stuff. (If you haven't checked out Disney’s blog…. you need to!  She doesn’t post as often any more… but look back though… It is a treasure trove of ideas.)  I tucked the idea away for Em’s room.  I finally got around to making them.  They were super easy… just my kind of project.

My first step was finding wire hangers.  I thought this would have been the easiest part of the process… but as it turned out to be a bit of a challenge.  Apparently the mix of being cheap and not getting anything dry cleaned, and using the wire hangers we did have for roasting marshmallows at the beach, I only had two options.

Photo Mar 03, 7 55 34 AM

The dark one is really the ideal for this project, but I made them both work :)

You bend the wire into a diamond shape and make a loop with the end of the hanger.

Photo Mar 03, 7 58 39 AMPhoto Mar 03, 8 10 12 AM

I cut a triangle shape out of batting that I had left over, leaving a little less than an inch all the way around.  I used my glue gun to put a line of glue along the hanger, and folded over the batting.  Do a section at a time.

 

Photo Mar 03, 8 24 36 AM

 

I then cut some fabric leaving the same amount around the edges, and repeat just as you did with the batting.  I was able to use some fabric that my mom had saved from my own nursery when I was a baby. 

Photo Mar 03, 9 11 11 AM

After that you just attach some ribbon for a tale and the “cross bars” of the kite. I also added a bow to hide the hanger loop.  I chose some lace that I had to give it a soft feel and tie them into her curtains.  The last step is to hang and clip on all of those adorable ribbons.

Photo Mar 10, 8 05 04 AM

Well, I suppose I should get back to the report cards I was doing before I got distracted and wrote this post.  I'm trying to get them done… along with preparing for open house… before Emmalynn decides to make her appearance.  Here is hoping that she says nice and cozy in my belly for one more week.  I have a lot to get done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment