Friday, May 13, 2011

Stump Planters

My stump planters have seriously become one of the things I am most proud of in our home. These were not exactly easy to make with palm tree stumps, because as we found out, palm trees are extremely dense.

Lan first used his reciprocating saw to cut out how large the hole is going to be. Then he used an Auger bit on his drill and drilled down as far as he could. He then took his reciprocating saw and continued to slowly cut away pieces until it was widened to his guide cut. When he was all done, he took his drill and drilled down once more. Since the stump can’t drain, we filled this hole with rocks so that excess water can collect there, away from roots.

Photo May 01, 12 16 33 PMPhoto May 01, 12 19 35 PMPhoto May 01, 12 53 46 PMPhoto May 01, 12 54 13 PM

We ended up planting Jalapeno, Sweet Basil, and Rosemary. I love these planters.. and the icing on the cake, is that it is free!

Photo May 02, 6 47 38 AM

I kept telling Lan that he should make more and we could sell then for a really good price. He looked at me like I was crazy and responded “go for it babe, but I'm not doing it”




Linked to:

http://tearosehome.blogspot.com/2011/05/link-party-no-54.html

5 comments:

  1. So darling! Looks like a ton of work. I would love to make these, I love stumps. Very creative.
    Lindsay
    countrygirlhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!! What a great idea!

    I host a weekly Friday link party I would love you to join if you are ever interested in linking up, I'd love to have you join.

    Ashley
    www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I featured it on hoo's got talent! Thanks for linking up to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring me! It made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea. We've just had a tree cut down and I'm staring at all the wood in the driveway wondering what to do with it.
    I'm worried about the lack of drainage. Could you drill an inconspicuous hole from the side to the center? I'm thinking the wood will either rot, or it will swell and split. If not a drainage hole, then perhaps sealing the top with something impervious to rain?
    (ps: loads of time...)

    ReplyDelete